• 250g/9oz minced pork
• 250g/9oz minced beef
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• ¾ tsp harissa paste
• 1 tsp sweet paprika
• ½ tsp smoked paprika
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
• ½ tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp soaked and ground caraway seeds
• 1 tsp marjoram
• salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• ½ tsp allspice (optional)
• meat, chicken or vegetable stock, for basting (optional)
• 1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
1. Combine all the ingredients, apart from the olive oil and stock, together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Knead together for about five minutes – the ingredients need to be very well combined.
3.Divide the mixture into small handfuls and roll into small sausage shapes.
4.Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan or griddle. Cook the sausages over a medium heat for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through. Turn them several times during cooking and baste with a little stock to keep them moist, if you like.
5.Serve with mustard.